Cold plasma, the fourth state of matter is a partially ionized gas comprising ions, electrons, ultraviolet photons, and reactive neutrals such as radicals, excited and ground-state molecules. Plasmas can also be artificially generated through gas dissociation by electricity, microwave radiation, or heat under ambient conditions.
Due to the low heat capacity of cold plasma, it finds application in bioengineering, medicine, and therapeutics. For instance, in biomedicine, cold plasma is used for the treatment of teeth, and skin sterilization of medical devices. In material science, it is used for surface modifications (computer chip production). In the food industry, cold plasma finds application in the packaging process as well as in food production. In environmental sciences, it is used in air and water purification and other applications.
Growing Adoption of Cold Atmospheric Plasma (CAP) Therapy in Wound Healing
Cold atmospheric plasma therapy is a new and latest approach in the field of plasma medicine. It consists of a mixture of reactive species that convey antimicrobial activity and affect human tissues. Owing to its environment-friendly and non-invasive nature, this technique has been admired and encouraged to use in different therapeutic regimes like wound healing, tissue regeneration, and skin infection management. Atmospheric pressure cold plasmas could affect different stages of wound healing by helping to activate microorganisms in the first stage and stimulate skin-related cell proliferation and migration in the following period. CAPs have become a promising therapy to replace or assist traditional methods in clinics for the wound healing process, especially in chronic wounds.
Cold Plasma Usage in Dentistry & Oncology Boost the Demand of Cold Plasma Market
Viruses are the most abundant and diverse microbes on the planet. Cold (non-thermal) plasma treatment can be used to prevent or eliminate infections from bacteria, bacterial biofilms, fungi, and viruses. Prospects of cold plasma in dentistry and oncology look promising due to its anti-microbial properties and its cell death properties on cells. In dentistry, cold plasma showed promising results in tooth bleaching, deactivation of biofilms in teeth, instrument sterilization, and composite restoration. Promising findings obtained from in vivo and in vitro studies of cold plasma in oncology show that it will find its niche in the treatment of cancer patients in the future. However, more studies need to be performed regarding the mechanism of action.
“Growing usage of advanced technologies will drive the market. For instance, the extensive uses of dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) and the non-equilibrium atmospheric pressure plasma jet (N-APPJ) plasma discharge methods have been very effective in various biomedical applications.” - Chief Researcher, Cold Plasma Product Manufacturer, United States
Asian Cold Plasma Market Set To Soar
APAC cold plasma market is expected to witness a strong growth in the coming years, due to the adoption of technologically advanced cold plasma products in the healthcare industry, rising demand for decontaminated frozen food, and increasing manufacturing of semiconductor, textile, and polymer industries in this region. The growth in the European region market is attributed to increasing research and development activities, the availability of various FDA-approved products, and the presence of some of the key players in this region.
Competitive Landscape Analysis: Cold Plasma Market
Some of the key players operating in the cold plasma market include Apyx Medical Corporation, Nordson Corporation, Adtec Plasma Technology Co. Ltd, P2i, Relyon Plasma GmbH, Henniker Plasma, Enercon Industries, AcXys Plasma Technologies, Plasmatreat, Tantec A/S, Europlasma, Thierry Corporation, Surfx Technologies LLC, Softal Corona & Plasma, Coating Plasma Innovation, Ferrarini & Benelli, Neoplas GmbH, Terraplasma GmbH, Molecular Plasma Group, CINOGY GmbH, Advanced Plasma Solutions, UNIQAIR Technologies, PlasmaLeap Technologies, Medical Innovations, and COMET Plasma Control Technologies, Plasmacure, Linde AG, and Vetaphone A/S, among others.
Companies Adopt Both Organic & Inorganic Growth Strategies to Increase their Market Share in Cold Plasma Market
Players operating in this market are adopting organic and inorganic growth strategies such as collaborations, acquisitions, and new product launches to garner higher market share. For instance,
- In October 2021, Plasmacure secured a newseries of funding from a consortium with Topfonds Gelderland, NextGen Ventures, European Innovation Council (EIC) Fund, and Credenti B.V. (a group of informal investors) to carry out clinical studies and to sell their product internationally.
- In October 2021, Reylon Plasma announced the launch of its compact integration solution piezobrush ® PZ3-I in Bondexpo trade fair preview. The compact integration solution is suitable for a wide variety of surface applications.
- In February 2020, Adtech Plasma Technology initiated a new project in collaboration with Hull York Medical School for testing gas plasma on osteomyelitis bone infections. The project will assist in establishing a laboratory testing model for evaluating and optimizing plasma treatment for osteomyelitis biofilm infections.
The cold plasma market is a growing market that is expected to gain further momentum in the coming years due to technological advancements, new product launches, increasing demand for decontamination frozen food, and aggressive organic and inorganic growth strategies followed by the players.
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
- What is the market size & forecast of the Cold Plasma Market?
- What are the historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of the Cold Plasma Market?
- How has Covid-19 impacted the Cold Plasma Market?
- What are the major growth drivers, restraints/challenges impacting the market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the Cold Plasma market?
- How is the investment landscape of Cold Plasma Market?
- Which region has the highest share in the global market? Which region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the major players operating in the market? What is the competitive positioning of key players?
- Who are the new players entering the Cold Plasma market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players?
The study has been compiled based on the extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, R&D Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders:
- Stakeholders in Medical Industry, Textile Industry, Electrical & Electronics Industry, Food & Agriculture Industry, and Other End Users.
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & internal analysis was validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository and Company’s Sales Data.