Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) is a slow and gentle form of dialysis that removes excess fluids and waste products from the blood in a continuous manner, similar to the way the kidneys function in healthy individuals. A pump-driven venovenous extracorporeal cardiopulmonary circuit performs CRRT with blood purification as renal support.
Adoption of Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies (CRRT) for the Treatment of Critically ill Patients with Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Fuels its Global Demand
AKI is a global problem and is common among critically ill patients. It is estimated that 13.3 million people worldwide are affected by acute kidney injury (AKI) annually, ~85% of whom live in developing countries. Further, the reported incidence of AKI in the intensive care unit (ICU) ranges from 0.5% to 78.7% population, and up to ~25% of these patients may require CRRT. The risk of morbidity and mortality increases with increasing AKI severity. The goals of CRRT for critically ill patients with AKI include maintaining fluid, electrolyte, acid-base, and solute balance, supporting renal recovery, preventing additional kidney damage, and allowing other supportive interventions to proceed without complication or limitation. The rising burden of AKI cases among the growing population and aging society is likely to increase the demand for continuous renal replacement therapy market.
Advantages Associated with Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies (CRRT) Boosts the Global Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market Growth
Over the years, CRRT is the preferred renal replacement therapy (RRT) modality for patients with AKI who are hemodynamically unstable or require precise fluid management. Hemodynamic instability is common among critically ill patients with AKI receiving RRT. CRRT may have a better hemodynamic profile compared with other intermittent therapies, including intermittent hemodialysis (IHD) and sustained low-efficiency dialysis. Among the CRRT’s advantages, relative to other RRT, is the prevention of changes in intracerebral water. CRRT is also considered safer than IHD in patients at risk of cerebral edema that is part of dialysis disequilibrium syndrome due to its slower rate of urea clearance. Further, the treatment of AKI with CRRT is associated with significantly better recovery of renal function and a lower incidence of chronic dialysis dependence which is expected to boost the market of CRRT in the upcoming years.
Growing Awareness on Kidney Health & Prevention Program Drives the Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) Market
Various initiatives are taken by organizations to raise awareness regarding evidence-based interventions to improve understanding, detection, and management of kidney disease, including the identification of patients at greatest risk for progression to kidney failure. Currently, a large number of kidney health & prevention programs are run by organizations (such as National Kidney Foundation (NKF), The National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP, and the Centre for Education, Research, and Training in Kidney Disease (CERTKiD)) as well as local governments across the world.
- In September 2022, Fresenius Medical Care, announced they have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the National Kidney Foundation
(NKF) Malaysia, to work together in promoting kidney health and the prevention of chronic kidney disease amongst children and their families in Malaysia.
- In April 2022, Baxter International Inc. announced the national expansion of its partnership with the international not-for-profit organization The Links, Incorporated (The Links) to continue bringing awareness and resources for the disproportionate challenges affecting Black Americans related to kidney health.
Covid-19 Impact on Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market
Healthcare systems worldwide have been affected by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. During the covid-19, approximately 15%-30% of patients with COVID-19 admitted to the ICU were showing signs of kidney failure and needed continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT). In such cases, CRRT acted as a life-sustaining and life-saving therapy. CRRT helps patients to pass blood through a special filter that removes fluid and uremic toxins, returning clean blood to the body. Another serious consideration for COVID-19 patients was reports of increased filter clotting during CRRT. Therefore, the need for blood purification systems also witnessed a surge since the emergence of kidney failure cases in some COVID patients, which further fueled the demand for CRRT.
Key Market Constraints/Challenges: Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market
The high costs of the CRRT procedures and the risk & complications associated with the CRRT such as catheter-related complications, blood loss, disconnection, infection or access failure, mechanical complications of cardiopulmonary bypass, fluctuations in salt balance, hemodialysis-related complications, hypotension, accidental removal of tubes, coagulopathy, and venous thrombosis is likely to hamper the growth of the continuous renal replacement therapy market in the upcoming years.
North America is Expected to Continue to Hold a Larger Share in the Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) Market
From a geographical perspective, North America holds a larger market share of the continuous renal replacement therapy market. This can be mainly attributed to the rising incidences of acute renal injury (AKI), the growing application of CRRT from adaptive renal devices to multipurpose treatment machines, technological advancements in continuous renal replacement therapy products, and an increase in the number of diabetic patients in the region. However, the Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness strong growth in the coming years due to a growing aging population, and a growing prevalence of kidney-related diseases in the region.
Competitive Landscape Analysis: Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market
Some of the key players operating in the global continuous renal replacement therapy market are listed below:-
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Fresenius Medical Care AG
- Asahi Kasei Medical Co. Ltd.
- Medica S.p.A
- Medical Components Inc.
- Infomed SA
- Nikkiso Co. Ltd.
- Nipro Corporation
Organic and Inorganic Growth Strategies Adopted by Players to Establish Their Foothold in the Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market
All leading players operating in the continuous renal replacement therapy market are adopting both organic and inorganic growth strategies such as collaborations, acquisitions, and new product launches to garner a larger market share.
- In August 2022, Fresenius Medical Care closed a three-way merger including Fresenius Health Partners, the value-based care division of Fresenius Medical Care North America, and created a premier value-based kidney care provider in the U.S. The new company will operate under the InterWell Health brand, bringing together Fresenius Health Partners’ expertise in kidney care value-based contracting and performance.
- In April 2022, Baxter International Inc. announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 510(k) clearance of the company’s ST Set used in continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT).
- In March 2022, B. Braun announced the acquisition of Intermedt Medizin & Technik GmbH, a specialist in the preparation of dialysis concentrate.
The continuous renal replacement therapy market is a growing market expected to gain further momentum in the coming years due to a strong emphasis on building therapy-based solutions for treating AKI, the introduction of technologically advanced products, and aggressive organic and inorganic product growth strategies followed by the industry players.
Key Strategic Questions Addressed in this Research Report:
- What is the market size & forecast for the continuous renal replacement therapy market?
- What are the historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of the continuous renal replacement therapy market?
- How has Covid-19 impacted the continuous renal replacement therapy market?
- What are the major growth drivers, restraints/challenges impacting the market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the continuous renal replacement therapy market?
- What is the investment landscape of continuous renal replacement therapy market?
- Which region has the highest share in the global CRRT market? Which region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the major players operating in the market? What is the competitive positioning of key players?
- Who are the new players entering the continuous renal replacement therapy market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players in continuous renal replacement therapy market?
1. Research Methodology
1.1. Secondary Research
1.2. Primary Research
1.3. Market Estimation
1.4. Market Forecasting
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Overview
3.1. Market Dynamics
3.2. Industry Speaks
3.3. Key Market Trends
4. COVID-19 Impact on Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market
5. Global Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market- Size & Forecast (2019-2027), By Product
5.1. CRRT Systems
5.2. Dialysates and Replacement Fluids
5.5. Bloodline Sets (Tubing Sets)
5.6. Other Disposables
6. Global Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market- Size & Forecast (2019-2027), By Modality
6.1. Continuous Venovenous Hemofiltration (CVVH)
6.2. Continuous Venovenous Hemodiafiltration (CVVHDF)
6.3. Continuous Venovenous Hemodialysis (CVVHD)
6.4. Slow Continuous Ultrafiltration (SCUF)
7. Global Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Market- Size & Forecast (2019-2027), By Region
7.1. North America (U.S. & Canada)
7.2. Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Rest of Europe)
7.3. Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, Rest of Asia Pacific)
7.4. Rest of the World (Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1. Key Players and their Competitive Positioning
8.1.1. Market Share Analysis (2022)
8.1.2. Segment-wise Player Mapping
8.2. Key Strategies Assessment, By Player (2020-2022)
8.2.1. New Product & Service Launches
8.2.2. Partnerships, Agreements, & Collaborations
8.2.3. Geographic Expansion
9. Key Companies Scanned (Indicative List)
9.1. B. Braun
9.2. Baxter International
9.4. Nipro Corporation
9.5. Fresenius Medical Care AG
9.6. Asahi Kasei Medical Co. Ltd.
9.7. Medica S.p.A
9.8. Medical Components, Inc.
9.9. Infomed SA
9.10. Nikkiso Co., Ltd.
The study has been compiled based on extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, R&D Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders:
- Stakeholders in Hospitals, Dialysis Centers, and Other End Users.
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & internal analysis were validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository, and Company Sales Data.