Energy-based aesthetic devices are used for a variety of skin procedures, including body sculpting, skin tightening, and resurfacing. These devices are precise, targeted medical equipment with adjustable wavelengths that provide a range of therapeutic options. These devices are based on technologies that use various energy sources to rejuvenate the skin, improve texture and complexion, provide a smoother & younger appearance, and remove unwanted imperfections.
Technological Advancements in Energy-based Aesthetic Devices Market to Fuel its Global Demand
Continuous advances in energy-based aesthetic devices have enabled to develop efficient devices with indication expansion, reduced side-effects, and enhanced patient comfort, among others. Such advancements tend to provide competitive edge to manufacturers and therefore, major players are continuously focusing on investing in research activities for new product development and expanding their geographic reach to strengthen their position in the global energy-based aesthetic devices market. Some of the technological advancements are listed as below:
- In June 2022, Cynosure launched the PicoSure Pro device, a 755nm picosecond laser that utilizes pressure to deliver energy in one trillionth of a second instead of heat, providing safe and effective treatments for skin revitalization and unwanted pigmentation for all skin types.
- In March 2022, Lumenis launched the triLift facial stimulation device for three aging elements, namely, texture, contour, and structure by treating three tissue layers- epidermal layer, muscles, and dermal layer.
- In April 2021, Alma Laser, a Sisram Medical company launched Alma PrimeX platform, a combination of ultrasound and radiofrequency technologies, used in skin tightening and circumference reduction in the abdomen, thighs, waist, and buttocks areas.
- In April 2021, LASEROPTEK Co., Ltd. received 510(k) clearance from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to expand the indications of its PicoLO picosecond pulse Nd:YAG laser for the treatment of acne scars, benign pigmented lesions, and wrinkles.
- In March 2021, Solta Medical (Bausch Health Companies Inc.) launched Clear + Brilliant Touch laser in the US market. This next generation laser delivers customized and comprehensive treatment procedure that provides benefits of two wavelengths.
Key Growth Strategies adopted by Leading Market Players operating in Energy-based Aesthetic Devices Market
Leading players in the energy-based aesthetic devices market have adopted acquisition and partnership as key growth strategy to expand their product offerings, enhance their geographic presence & distribution capabilities, and to develop advanced products. Some of these developments are listed as below-
- In August 2022, Sofwave Medical Ltd, developer of energy-based non-invasive, aesthetic medical devices entered in a collaboration and distribution agreement with HTDK Group to advance and expand its sales in China.
- In May 2022, Crown Laboratories entered in an agreement to acquire the global, aesthetics-focused assets of Eclipse, to expand its aesthetics' product portfolio and to provide superior aesthetic products across geographies.
- In March 2022, Cynosure KK (subsidiary of Cynosure LLC) and Jeisys Medical KK (subsidiary of Jeisys Medical Inc.) entered into a distribution partnership, in which Jeisys Medical will have exclusive distribution rights to Cynosure's energy-based laser portfolio's premier products in Japan.
- In December 2021, Allergan Aesthetics, a subsidiary of AbbVie completed the acquisition of Soliton, Inc., a medical device company offering proprietary platform technology for aesthetic solutions- RESONIC, its Rapid Acoustic Pulse device. This acquisition was aimed at expanding and complimenting Allergan’s body contouring treatment portfolio.
- In April 2021, Sinclair (fully-owned subsidiary of Huadong Medicine Company Limited) announced the acquisition of Cocoon Medical, an aesthetics company offering non-invasive lasers and cryoadipolisis devices to clinics and med-spas. This acquisition by Sinclair was intended to expand in energy-based aesthetic devices market.
North America is Expected to Hold a Major Share in the Energy-based Aesthetic Devices Market
From a geographical perspective, North America holds a major market share of the energy-based aesthetic devices market. This can be mainly attributed to the rapidly increasing geriatric population, shift in demand to non-invasive and minimally invasive procedures, and increasing awareness of the advantages of energy-based aesthetic devices and available treatment options. However, the Asia Pacific is expected to ascend at the fastest CAGR over the forecast period on account of the rapid growth of the energy-based aesthetic devices market in developing markets, rising disposable income, growing awareness of aesthetic procedures, and focus of key players in terms of new product launches.
Competitive Landscape Analysis: Energy-based Aesthetic Devices Market
The energy-based aesthetic devices market is marked by the presence of established market players such as Candela Corporation (US); Sciton, Inc. (US); Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA (Germany); Lumenis Ltd. (Israel); Alma Lasers (Israel); Cutera (US); Allergan Plc (Ireland); Cynosure (US); and others.
The global energy-based aesthetic devices market is a growing market that is expected to gain further momentum in the upcoming years due to a strong emphasis on developing advanced products. For instance, development of multi-application aesthetic device that can treat a number of conditions and patients provide numerous benefits to customers as well as practitioners, thereby broadening the scope of treatment options. Additionally, energy-based medical aesthetic devices featuring greater efficacy involving fewer treatment sessions, reduced side-effects, and increased patient comfort coupled with increased speed of treatment and low capital investment can positively impact the adoption rate of these advanced devices among physicians and patients. Furthermore, increased penetration in emerging markets due to consumerism, increasing disposable incomes, and growing awareness of aesthetic procedures provide significant growth opportunities for all market players.
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
- What is the market size & forecast of the energy-based aesthetic devices market?
- What are historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of the energy-based aesthetic devices market?
- What are the key trends defining the energy-based aesthetic devices market?
- What are the major factors impacting the energy-based aesthetic devices market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the energy-based aesthetic devices market?
- Which region has the highest share in the global market? Which region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the major players operating in the market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players operating in energy-based aesthetic devices market?
The study has been compiled based on the extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, R&D Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders:
- Stakeholders in Hospitals, Clinics, Spa, Plastic Surgeons, Trained Physicians, and other qualified technician & practitioners.
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & internal analysis were validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository, and Company Sales Data.