Nutrition plays an important role in maintaining health as well as in the prevention and management of a variety of diseases. Enteral feeding is the delivery of nutrients directly into the digestive tract through a feeding tube. The tube is usually placed into the stomach, duodenum, or jejunum via either the nose, mouth, or the direct percutaneous route.
Enteral feeding devices are devices that are placed in patients who have a functional and accessible gastrointestinal (GI) tract but are not able to consume or absorb enough nutrients to sustain adequate nutrition and hydration. For many individuals, enteral nutrition support is a lifesaving modality to prevent or treat a depleted nutrient state that can lead to tissue breakdown, compromised immune function, and poor wound healing. The main types of enteral feedings devices available in the market are nasogastric tube (NGT), orogastric tube (OGT), gastrostomy tube, jejunostomy tube, nasoenteric tube, and oroenteric tube.
Shift towards Enteral Nutrition from Parenteral Nutrition Drives the Enteral Feeding Devices Market
In general, medical providers typically recommend enteral feeding over parenteral feeding. This is due to enteral nutrition being less costly, easier on the body, and presents fewer complications. In addition, enteral feeding allows for more efficient nutrient consumption and encourages the body’s natural healing process by stimulating intestinal blood flow. Though enteral nutrition isn’t necessarily always better than parenteral nutrition, it is less invasive and sends nutrients directly to the gastrointestinal tract. For people recovering from an illness or injury, it presents a safe and effective way to maintain energy and promote healing. Moreover, feeding tubes are easier to clean and sterilize than IVs, catheters, or ports.
Growing Adoption of Home Enteral Nutrition (HEN) Fuels the Market Demand
Home enteral nutrition (HEN) has always been recognized as a life-saving procedure. HEN can be recommended for a diversity of people with many different conditions and circumstances. Home enteral nutrition (HEN) therapy delivers nutrients and/or fluids to the gastrointestinal tract (GI) through a tube or stoma to patients who are medically stable and unable to meet oral nutrition. Enteral nutrition is started during a hospital stay and continued as a long-term home enteral nutrition therapy. Because of the increasing expenses in the hospital, HEN is considered quite an essential cost-effective and safe treatment for patients who require continuous nutritional support after being discharged. Thus, increased adoption of HEN in-home care is expected to fuel the demand for the enteral feeding devices market in the coming period.
Key Constraints/ Challenges: Enteral Feeding Devices Market
Reimbursement issues and complications associated with enteral feeding tubes are some of the key factors that are likely to hamper the growth of the market. Some of the complications associated with enteral feeding devices are skin irritation, aspiration, refeeding syndrome, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, tube blockage, and tube dislodging.
North America Expected to Continue Holding Major Share in the Enteral Feeding Devices Market
North America currently holds a major share in the global enteral feeding devices market. It is expected to continue to hold a major share in the coming years due to the growing prevalence of chronic diseases, rising aging population, adoption of technologically advanced products, and growing awareness regarding enteral nutrition in the region. However, the Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness strong growth in the coming years, due to the increased incidence of preterm births, the growing geriatric population, and the increasing number of malnutrition patients in the region.
Competitive Landscape Analysis: Enteral Feeding Devices Market
Some of the key players operating in the enteral feeding devices market include Danone, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Cook Medical, Conmed Corporation, Boston Scientific Corporation, BD, Abbott Laboratories, Vygon SA, Applied Medical Technology Inc, Amsino International Inc., Nestlé Health Science, Fresenius Kabi AG, Cardinal Health Inc., Avanos Medical Inc., Baxter International Inc., Alcor Scientific, Dynarex Corporation, Corpak, Covidien PLC, and Enteral Access Technologies Ltd., among others.
Organic and Inorganic Growth Strategies Adopted by Players to Establish Their Foothold in the Market
Players operating in this market are adopting organic and inorganic growth strategies such as collaborations, acquisitions, and new product launches to garner market share. For instance,
- In March 2022, Vygon SA announced the acquisition of Macatt Medica, a distribution company located in Lima, Peru. The company distributes the majority of Vygon’s products in Peru, including a wide range of enteral nutrition products.
- In February 2022, Alcor Scientific announced that they have entered into a strategic partnership with health care investor Water Street Healthcare Partners where Water Street will invest capital in Alcor’s expansion. Water Street’s investment will help Alcor’s in the development of new technologies, expanding its product portfolio and bolstering its global reach.
- In September 2021, Enteral Access Technologies announced they have received a CE mark for its enteral feeding device DoubleCHEK device which allows the key enteral feeding devices market players to market the product in all EU countries.
- In September 2021, Vonco Products LLC announced that their patented EnteraLoc™ Flow direct-connect enteral nutritional delivery system has been granted 510(k) clearance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
The enteral feeding devices market is a growing market that is expected to gain further momentum in the coming years due to technological advancements, new product launches, and aggressive organic and inorganic growth strategies followed by the players.
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
- What is the market size & forecast for the Enteral Feeding Devices Market?
- What are the historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of the Enteral Feeding Devices Market?
- How has Covid-19 impacted the Enteral Feeding Devices Market?
- What are the major growth drivers, restraints/challenges impacting the market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the market?
- What is the investment landscape of enteral feeding devices market?
- Which region has the highest share in the global market? Which region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the major players operating in the market? What is the competitive positioning of key players?
- Who are the new players entering the enteral feeding devices market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players in enteral feeding devices market?
The study has been compiled based on the extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, R&D Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders:
- Stakeholders in Hospitals, Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Home Care Settings, and Other End Users.
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & internal analysis were validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository, and Company Sales Data.