A bone void is a cavity in bone that results from a failure of the bone's self- healing process. Healthy bone tissue can be lost or damaged as a result of infection, trauma, tumours or orthopaedic procedures. A bone void filler/graft is a material used to fill a bone defect or a void to correct these conditions. Bony voids can be filled using autografts, allografts, and synthetic grafts.
Growing number of bone fractures and people suffering from Orthopaedic disorders to drive the market growth
As the global population ages, the number of people suffering from orthopaedic disorders is growing. In the U.S., ~1.5 million people are diagnosed with osteoporosis each year. Further, according to International Osteoporosis Foundation, the number of osteoporotic fractures in Europe (EU27, Switzerland and the UK) would grow by ~25% and reach 5.3 million in 2034 from 4.3 million in 2019. The growing number of fractures and orthopaedic population would propel the demand for bone void fillers.
Advanced products such as antibiotics-based bone void fillers to offer growth opportunities in Bone Void Fillers Market
Infection is major problem after Orthopaedic procedures and may lead to serious consequences. Owing to this, key players are focusing on launching bone void fillers formulated in combination with antibiotics. In June 2021, Elute, Inc. received authorization from the US FDA to use its EP Granules with Tobramycin in clinical trial. The product is a resorbable bone void filler that delivers a broad-spectrum antibiotic in a local and targeted manner in the surgical treatment of bone infections following hip or knee replacements.
North America leads the adoption of Bone Void Fillers Market
From a geographic perspective, North America has a major market share of global bone void fillers revenues. This is mainly attributed to the large number of orthopaedic procedures, growing aging population, and relatively higher penetration of bone void filling products in the region.
Some key players operating in the global bone void filler market include Medtronic, Graftys, DePuy Synthes Companies (JnJ), Stryker, Baxter, bioventus, Orthofix, Bone Solutions Inc., Curasan, Inc., Olympus Terumo Biomaterials Corporation, Biocomposites, Arthrex, Zimmer Biomet, Collagen Matrix, among others.
Companies adopting organic growth strategies to increase their market share
As a key growth strategy, companies in this market are focusing on launching new and advanced products to gain market share. For instance,
- In February 2022, Orthofix Medical launched a synthetic bioactive bone graft (Opus BA) for spine procedures.
- In January 2022, Bone Solutions Inc. (BSI) launched Mg OSTEOINJECT, an injectable Magnesium-based bone void filler.
In September 2021, Orthofix Medical launched the Opus Mg Set osteoconductive scaffold, a synthetic magnesium-based bone void filler for orthopedic procedures. Opus Mg Set provides a procedure-specific solution for orthopedic fracture and trauma procedures by filling non-structural bony voids or gaps during surgery
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
- What is the market size & forecast of Bone Void Fillers market?
- What are historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of Bone Void Fillers market?
- What are the key trends defining the market?
- What are the major factors impacting the market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the market?
- Which region has the highest share in the global market? Which region is expected to witness highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the end users of the Bone Void Fillers?
- Who are the major players operating in the Bone Void Fillers market?
- Who are the new players entering the market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players?
The study has been compiled based on the extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, R&D Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders:
- Stakeholders in hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and specialized clinics etc.
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & internal analysis was validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository and Company’s Sales Data.