A Healthcare Management Service Organization (MSO) is a health care specific company that provides non-clinical services (administrative and management services) to medical practices, healthcare providers, and ambulatory care facilities.
Advantages Offered by MSOs Fuels Its Demand
A MSO is beneficial to a health system in numerous ways:
- Improved Quality and Better Efficiency: Due to a common governance structure care management delivery across the organization is standardized. Population health reporting and analytics member identification, risk stratification, attribution, care management delivery, and staffing are all streamlined, which in turn results in performance improvement and better utilization
- Economies of Scale: MSOs urge the health systems to scout for partnerships, increase membership, and cut per-member-per-month (PMPM) management expenses by creating economies of scale
- Network Expansion: MSOs offer a competitive edge to healthcare organizations as they relieve them from performing administrative and managerial responsibilities. MSOs serve as an incentive for health organizations that are looking to expand their network
"MSO ensures access to the lowest prices of medical supplies and services... MSOs aggregate volumes and hence are able to achieve economies of scale, which in turn allows them to obtain preferred pricing on medical supplies, healthcare insurance, etc."
- CEO, Leading Healthcare MSO, U.S.
Foray of Next-Generation MSOs in Orthopedics – An Emerging Trend
Orthopedic physician practices often face challenges such as high overhead costs, deteriorating payments, increased regulatory requirements, and payer and administrative hurdles. On average, orthopedic physician practices spend ~ 50% of their revenue on overheads. To overcome these challenges, a new type of MSOs have ventured into the market that not only provides orthopedic physician practices the tools they need to streamline business functions but also provides technical expertise to succeed.
- In June 2022, a coalition of leading independent orthopaedic and musculoskeletal (MSK) specialists announced the launch of MedVanta, nation's largest physician-owned and operated musculoskeletal management services organization. MedVanta offers next-generation MSO strategies, people, processes, technology and solutions to independent orthopaedic and MSK practices for transforming business operations.
Fill out the "Quick Inquiry Form" to request a sample copy
Growing Investments by Private Equity Firms Drive the Market
Citing the lucrative prospects of the market, several private equity companies have also invested in the Healthcare MSO Market.
- In April 2023, TPG and AmerisourceBergen Corporation agreed to acquire OneOncology. OneOncology is one of the fastest-growing oncology MSO in the United States
- In Feb 2021, Cimarron Healthcare Capital, a private equity firm focused on making investments in healthcare companies completed the acquisition of CareAccess MSO. CareAccess MSO partners with primary care physician groups in support of establishing and managing value-based risk contracts with Medicare Advantage plans
Healthcare MSO Market: Competitive Landscape
Some of the key players operating in the market include MedVanta, Envolve Health, OneOncology, Vanguard Health Solutions, Neolytix , Argusmso, among others.
Get a Sample Report for Competitive Landscape Analysis
The Healthcare Management Service Organization (MSO) Market is expected to gain further momentum in the coming years due to rising focus on value-based care, foray of next-generation MSOs, growing emphasis on improving patient experience, rising investments in patient engagement tools, and aggressive organic and inorganic growth strategies followed by the players.
Healthcare MSO Market Report Scope
Market Growth Rate
The Healthcare Management Service Organization (MSO) Market is expected to witness a healthy growth rate by 2027.
- Consolidation of smaller practices - Aging population & chronic diseases - Growing demand for specialty care - Increasing investments by private equity companies - Rising adoption of technology
Definition of MSO
A Healthcare Management Service Organization (MSO) is a health care-specific company that provides non-clinical services (administrative and management services) to medical practices, healthcare providers, and ambulatory care facilities.
Advantages Offered by MSOs
- Improved Quality and Better Efficiency - Economies of Scale - Network Expansion
"MSO ensures access to the lowest prices of medical supplies and services... MSOs aggregate volumes and hence are able to achieve economies of scale, which in turn allows them to obtain preferred pricing on medical supplies, healthcare insurance, etc." - CEO, Leading Healthcare MSO, U.S.
Next-Generation MSOs in Orthopedics
Emergence of MSOs offering tools and technical expertise to streamline business functions for orthopedic physician practices. Example: Launch of MedVanta, the nation's largest physician-owned and operated musculoskeletal management services organization.
Private Equity Investments in MSO Market
- TPG and AmerisourceBergen Corporation's acquisition of OneOncology - Cimarron Healthcare Capital's acquisition of CareAccess MSO
Key Players: MedVanta, Envolve Health, OneOncology, Vanguard Health Solutions, Neolytix, Argusmso, among others.
Market Momentum Drivers
- Rising focus on value-based care - Foray of next-generation MSOs - Growing emphasis on improving patient experience - Rising investments in patient engagement tools - Aggressive organic and inorganic growth strategies followed by the players.
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
What is the market size and forecast for the Healthcare Management Service Organization (MSO) Market?
What are the historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of the Healthcare Management Service Organization (MSO) Market?
What are the major growth drivers, restraints/challenges impacting the market?
What are the opportunities prevailing in the market?
What is the investment landscape?
Which region has the highest share in the market? Which region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
Who are the major players operating in the market? What is the competitive positioning of key players?
Who are the new players entering the market?
What are the key strategies adopted by players?
The study has been compiled based on extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand-side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & and internal analysis were validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository, and Company Sales Data.