CAD (computer-aided-design)/CAM (computer-aided-manufacturing) dentistry is a field of dentistry and prosthodontics that is used to design and improve dental restorations. Using CAD/CAM technology, dentists and dental laboratories provide patients with dental prostheses (crowns, crown lays, veneers, inlays, and onlays), fixed dental prostheses (bridges), dental implant-supported restorations, dentures (removable or fixed), and orthodontic appliances.
Promising Prospects of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the Dental CAD/CAM Market
The advent of AI-powered CAD/CAM systems has been instrumental in streamlining the process of designing and manufacturing dental restorations. AI-powered CAD/CAM systems use advanced algorithms to analyze a patient’s dental scans and produce accurate digital models of their teeth. The digital models are then used to make customized restorations that fit the patient’s unique anatomy and bite. These systems offer advantages such as precision, comfort, functional restoration, reduced chances of complications, and the need for adjustments or replacements. Citing the lucrative prospects of AI in dental CAD/CAM systems, players are incessantly striving to launch innovative products in the market.
- In March 2023, Planmeca introduced new AI-based tools for Planmeca Romexis. Planmeca Romexis is a flexible and powerful software platform that offers an extensive range of tools for dental imaging, diagnosis, and treatment planning for all indications and dental specialties. It supports the most versatile range of 2D and 3D imaging, CAD/CAM work and provides an all-in-one solution for all specialties and clinics of all sizes
- In November 2022, Korean startup Imagoworks launched AI-based web dental CAD 3Dme Crown. 3Dme Crown is an automatic crown design module of 3Dme Solutions, Imagoworks’ AI-based web dental solutions. Based on the patient’s 3D scan data, using AI technology, the crown prosthesis design that is most suitable for the patient’s oral environment is generated in seconds
Technological Advancements in Dental CAD/CAM Fuel the Market
The Dental CAD/CAM market has witnessed a number of technological advancements over the years. The technological advancements in Dental CAD/CAM are expected to spur its demand in the coming years.
- In March 2023, exocad (An Align Technology, Inc. company), a leading dental CAD/CAM software provider, introduced multiple new products and service offerings at the International Dental Show (IDS) 2023. The firm introduced the final three releases of its 3.1 Rijeka software series: exoplan 3.1 Rijeka, for prosthetic-driven implant planning and surgical guide design, ChairsideCAD 3.1 Rijeka, for single-visit dentistry, and PartialCAD 3.1 Rijeka, for partial framework design
- In February 2023, ZimVie Inc. launched the RealGUIDE™ CAD and FULL SUITE modules, the latest innovations within ZimVie’s digital dentistry software platform. The CAD (computer-aided design) module introduces advanced software for restorative design and manufacturing, allowing for detailed and sophisticated implant and tooth restoration. The FULL SUITE module ties the CAD module to RealGUIDE’s existing Plan, App, and Guide modules, creating a seamless workflow across the ZimVie digital dentistry platform, providing a one-stop solution for a user's surgical and restorative design needs
Fill out the "Quick Inquiry Form" to request a sample copy
Some of the key players operating in the market include Align Technology, Dentsply Sirona, Planmeca, Institut Straumann, 3Shape, Dental Axess, Yenadent, Axsys Dental Solutions, Medit, ZimVie, among others.
Organic and Inorganic Growth Strategies Adopted by Players to Establish Their Foothold in the Market
Players operating in this market are adopting organic and inorganic growth strategies such as launching new products and entering into collaborations to garner higher market share. For instance,
- In August 2023, SoftSmile entered into partnership with Dental Axess, a global digital dentistry solution provider. As per the terms of the partnership, SoftSmile will be introducing SoftSmile design services and CAD software for clear aligner treatment to the Dental Axess' platform. The end-to-end solution will empower users to optimize workflow for both tracking outsourced designs and in-house designs
The Dental CAD/CAM Market is expected to gain further momentum in the coming years due to advantages offered by CAD/CAM-based dental restorations, rise in dental service organizations, growing affluence & awareness in emerging economies, and aggressive organic and inorganic growth strategies followed by the players.
The study has been compiled based on extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand-side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders: Dental Hospitals, Dental Laboratories, among others
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & and internal analysis were validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository, and Company Sales Data.
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
- What is the market size and forecast for the Dental CAD/CAM Market?
- What are the historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of the Dental CAD/CAM Market?
- What are the major growth drivers, restraints/challenges impacting the market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the market?
- What is the investment landscape?
- Which region has the highest share in the market? Which region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the major players operating in the market? What is the competitive positioning of key players?
- Who are the new players entering the market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players?