Dental 3D printing is a fast-growing field and its applications include design of physical models for prosthodontics, production of drill guides, orthodontics and surgery, and manufacture of dental implants, among others. Trend towards digital dentistry is one of the major tailwinds for the uptake of dental 3D printing.
Growing adoption of digital workflow in dental practices and benefits offered by dental 3D printing is driving the Dental 3D Printing Market Demand
3D-printing is a part of the digital workflow that is becoming more and more common in the dental practices. Dentist performs an intra-oral scan on the patient and electronically sends a digital copy of the scan to a dental lab. The technician can then design 3D model as soon as the copy of the scan received. 3D models designed this way are more stable, durable and precise compared to traditional/milled models. Dental 3D printing has increased the laboratory output, reduced fabrication and overall patient treatment time.
Group practices to drive the adoption of dental 3D printers
Group dental practices are growing rapidly, especially in developed markets. According to the latest data from the American Dental Association’s Health Policy Institute, there has been a downward trend in solo practitioners in the U.S. In 1999, 65% of the U.S. dentists ran solo practices which decreased to 50% in 2019. Group practice offer economies of scale, greater cash flow, ability to survive a downturn, and flexibility to cater to patient needs. It increases purchasing power and enable investments in advanced technologies such as digital scanners and dental 3D printing equipment.
High Incidence of Dental Diseases is Propelling the Dental 3D Printing Market Growth
Dental caries is a common disease in all age groups, leading to high incidence of decayed and missing teeth. According to the CDC, in 2019, ~65% of adults aged above 18 years of age had a dental examination or dental cleaning procedure. According to the American College of Prosthodontists, ~120 million of the U.S. population are missing at least one tooth. The number of partially edentulous patients is expected to increase to over 200 million in the coming 15 years. Single crowns are increasingly used to replace a missing tooth. According to the American College of Prosthodontists, over 2.3 million implant-supported crowns are made annually in the U.S. Increased usage of 3D printing to design such crowns and implants will drive the market growth.
North America leads the adoption of Dental 3D Printing Market
From a geographic perspective, North America has a larger share in global dental 3D printing market. This is mainly attributed to the large number of dental practices, high expenditure on oral care, better adoption of digital 3D printers, greater availability of skilled technicians to use dental 3D printers, and demand of high-quality services from dental patients.
Competitive Landscape Analysis: Dental 3D Printing Market
Some of the key players in the global dental 3D printing market are 3D Systems, 3Shape, Stratasys, Formlabs, Roland DG Corporation, EnvisionTEC, Medit, Carestream, Vatech, GC America, HenrySchein, Align Technology Inc., Planmeca OY, Prodways Group, Carbon, Inc., Concept Laser, EOS GmbH, BASF, Evonik, Dentsply Sirona, Inc., SprintRay, Inc., Zortrax, DMG America, 3Dresyns, and Micron Dental.
Companies adopting organic growth strategies to increase their market share in Dental 3D Printing Market
As a key growth strategy, all leading companies operating in this market are focusing on launching new and advanced dental printers, software, and materials to gain a larger market share.
- In June 2021, 3Shape launched 3Shape Dental System 2021 software. The new version of the software includes optimized workflows for removable partial and full dentures, and implant bridges.
- In March 2021, Stratasys launched J5 DentaJet 3D printer. It is the multi-material dental 3D printer, enabling technicians to load mixed trays of dental parts. The new 3D printer can produce at least five times more dental parts on a single mixed tray than competitive 3D printers.
- In November 2019, 3D Systems received FDA approval for new biocompatible denture material viz. NextDent Denture 3D+. The combination of this new dental 3D printing material, NextDent 5100 dental 3D printer, and intra-oral scanning and dental software solutions offer end-to-end digital dentistry solution.
Browse through our Related Research Reports below:-
Dental Market Size, Share, Growth Opportunities & Trends by 2026
Dental Prosthetics Market Size, Share & Competitive Analysis by 2026
Dental Consumables Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends & Analysis by 2026
Dental Practice Management Software Market Research Report 2026
Global Clear Aligner Market Size, Share, Trends & Growth by 2026
Key Strategic Questions Addressed
- What is the market size & forecast of Dental 3D Printing market?
- What are historical, present, and forecasted market shares and growth rates of various segments and sub-segments of Dental 3D Printing market?
- What are the key trends defining the market?
- What are the major factors impacting the market?
- What are the opportunities prevailing in the Dental 3D Printing market?
- Which region has the highest share in the global market? Which region is expected to witness highest growth rate in the next 5 years?
- Who are the end users of the Dental 3D Printing?
- Who are the major players operating in the market?
- Who are the new players entering the Dental 3D Printing market?
- What are the key strategies adopted by players?
The study has been compiled based on the extensive primary and secondary research.
Secondary Research (Indicative List)
To validate research findings (market size & forecasts, market segmentation, market dynamics, competitive landscape, key industry trends, etc.), extensive primary interviews were conducted with both supply and demand side stakeholders.
Supply Side Stakeholders:
- Senior Management Level: CEOs, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Directors, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Commercial Officers
- Mid-Management Level: Product Managers, Sales Managers, Brand Managers, R&D Managers, Business Development Managers, Consultants
Demand Side Stakeholders:
- Stakeholders in dental clinics, hospitals, dental laboratories etc.
Breakdown of Primary Interviews
Market Size Estimation
Both ‘Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches’ were used to derive market size estimates and forecasts.
Research findings derived through secondary sources & internal analysis was validated with Primary Interviews, Internal Knowledge Repository and Company’s Sales Data.